Quite a while ago at a Xen hackathon (I think the Cambridge one in 2011, has it really been 2 years?) the topic of bug tracking came up.
The developers who were present (myself included) expressed a general dislike for web based bug trackers, and in particular the existing bugzilla wasn't working for us for a variety of reasons (primarily lack of resource for care and general tending of it). They also liked the existing work flow based around mails to the Xen mailing lists, there was a feeling that this fits well with the demographics of the bugs which get reported to Xen: a sizable number of the issues are configuration errors or misunderstandings which can usually quickly be dealt with through a small email thread (followed by a request to please update the wiki). The project also gets quite a few bug reports which are initially "unactionable" due to of lack logs or a coherent description, in these cases a little bit of back and forth can quickly determine whether the reporter is going to provide the necessary additional information (this is something we are also trying to fix with clearer guidance and an ongoing effort to provide a reportbug-like tool for Xen).
However there were concerns that bigger issues which couldn't be dealt with quickly were falling through the cracks. We kicked around a few ideas for how a bug tracker that met our needs might work and that was mostly that.
Since then I've kicked the ideas around in my head a bit and searched for an existing system which would fit what was required. In the end I didn't find anything which quite fitted the bill and about six months ago I was looking for an interesting hacking project (perhaps something a bit different to my day job, hypervisor and kernel hacking) so I decided to bite the bullet, dust of my rusty Perl skills and hack something together.
Yes, that's right, I've written Yet Another Bug Tracker(tm). I confess I feel a bit dirty for doing so.
I've taken a fair bit of inspiration from debbugs (the Debian bug
tracker) but I've turned the concept a little on its head. Debbugs is
effectively instantiating a new mailing list for each bug report (each
NNNNNN@bugs.debian.org can be thought of as a mailing list plus some
additional bug specific metadata). Instead I implemented a model which
takes an existing mailing list and acts as a list archive which
provides a mechanism to track individual threads (or subthreads) as
bugs (each bug is effectively a root
Message-Id plus a little bit of
In common with debbugs bugs are created and subsequently manipulated
by sending mail to a special
control@ address. Commands are
available to create bugs as well as to graft and prune subthreads onto
existing bugs (to cope with people who break threading or offtopic
subthreads etc). There is also a read-only web interface for browsing
the bugs. Internally the system is subscribed to the list and records
details of each message and their relationships (e.g.
headers etc) in a sqlite database. A set of CGI scripts (using the
Perl CGI module) provide an interface to browse bugs.
Since the system tracks bugs based on mailing list threads I've named it Emesinae which is a "thread-legged bug" (yes, I spent longer than is strictly necessary browsing entomological websites). I've made the code available on gitorious under a GPLv2 license, see https://gitorious.org/emesinae.
I announced an alpha instance of Emesinae back in May which tracks the xen-devel mailing list. You can find the bug tracker at http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/. Since then I've been slowly fleshing out some more useful features (such as tagging of affected branches).
It's not seen a great deal of uptake from the Xen developers yet but there are already some bugs being tracked and I'm hopeful that it will prove useful in the long run. In any case it was a fun hacking project for a few rainy evenings (and a couple more train and plane journeys).